- You have calculated and compared your car insurance and have found the right deal for you. So, what do you do next? How do you make that final step to becoming insured on your car so that you can drive it legally on the roads.
- Many online car insurance companies allow you to complete this whole process online, meaning minimum hassle for you. There are a number of things you will need to have to hand in order to fill in the required details online. These may include your driving licence details, any details of points added to your licence and payment details. Many car insurance companies allow you to pay the premium by instalments if you do not wish to pay it all out in one go.
- When you have decided on the policy and have gone through everything online, or over the telephone or in person if you choose to do it that way, make sure you go through the policy before finalising your car insurance.
- You should check the excess charges are not too high. Excess is the pre-fixed amount you have to pay to insurers when you make a claim. While this may seem unfair, it is to stop people claiming for every tiny thing on their car, which would cause a headache for the insurance firms and would probably lead to higher insurance costs overall. For example, if your wing mirror is knocked off and it only costs a small amount of money to repair it. If you didn’t have to pay any excess, you may choose to put this through your insurance. However, if you have to pay the first £100 of any claim, otherwise known as the excess, you will get it done yourself. Raising the excess level can sometimes reduce the overall cost of the insurance, and some prefer to do this. Check yours is at the level you want it.
- When you have finalised everything and you have your insurance, you will usually be provided with a cover note within the next few days. This sets out the details of your insurance, such as the date it runs from and to, the type of car it covers and the driver’s details. You usually need an insurance cover note to be able to buy tax for your vehicle.
- As you can see, calculating your car insurance online is simple, as is finalising your car insurance. Everyone is after the cheapest car insurance available to them. The best advice is to go with what offers you the cover you require at the best possible price. You may have to pay more to insure your car for business use, and people may be tempted to not mention it to keep down costs. However, you could find that if you have an accident while using your car for business purposes, your insurer will refuse to pay out.
- The best thing about finalising your car insurance is that you can be covered immediately, meaning you can get out on the road almost as soon as you have logged off or put the telephone down.